Saturday 19 February 2011

Inaugural Post!

Well hello! Welcome to The Yellow Book. The idea of this particular blog is not to be boringly subject-specific but to cover the entire gamut of what might slightly pretentiously be called ‘culture’. It’ll be interesting to see how that pans out….

If you are, like me, something of a frustrated aesthete, then I very much look forward to hearing from you / cyber-virtually meeting you. As I hope that last coinage might suggest, this blog is violently anti-technological though not necessarily anti-modernity. It is pro-art but anti pomposity (most of the time). Anti-politics and pro unintelligent, sensationalist political comment.

The original Yellow Book
The Yellow Book is, as of course you will have guessed, inspired by the periodical of the same name that ran between 1894 and 1897.  In its short life it became the symbol and leading light of 19th Century aestheticism and decadence. Whilst this 21st Century version does not presume to such lofty heights it is, I hope, guided by the same spirit and philosophy of ‘art for art’s sake’. 

Finally, please…comment! If you like, dislike, disagree with or angrily vomit over any of the idle tidbits I see fit to spew into cyberspace then I desperately want to know.

Otherwise, just enjoy (I hope).



No comments:

Post a Comment