Wednesday 23 February 2011

Silk


Last night the BBC aired episode one of their new legal drama, Silk. Two criminal barristers, one male, posh and pompous and one female, working class and Northern, compete for the honour of taking silk (becoming a QC). Although I suspect it will be slated for some piss poor acting, predictable plot and two-dimensional characters I for one thought it was a cracking piece of entertainment.

Although the first few minutes had me sighing with annoyance when 'good' barrister wins a jury trial and then leaves the Royal Courts of Justice (civil trials and criminal appeals only - no jury trials) I found, as the episode went on, that the inaccuracies and absurdities were what made the programme so enjoyable. The pupil barrister who is apparently 21 years old and has only the barest knowledge of criminal law and procedure was a particular highlight. Rocking up on his first day in a beanie hat with a turned up collar is, I suspect, not the best way to create a good first impression. Nor is stealing your wig and gown from an outfitters past which he will have to pass almost every day of his professional life. The cocaine snorting, violent, exciting, highly charged impression given is perhaps not particularly accurate but on the basis that it makes lawyers seem less like the anally retentive, callous bastards that they are I suspect it will be popular amongst the legal profession. Certainly this morning the talk in the robing room was of little else!

I keenly await the next episode where I gather (from the 'next time' ending sequence) that things get even more exciting when Martha (good barrister) acquires a stalker. I've been shouted out, almost assaulted, and told I'm going to burn in hell but this really tops it all. What fun...

If you missed it, Silk can be viewed on iPlayer for the next seven days or so. I recommend it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment