Monday 21 March 2011

Christopher and his Kind

I've not read a great deal by Christopher Isherwood - in fact almost nothing. But 'Christopher and His Kind', starring Doctor Wh...sorry Matt Smith, shown on BBC 2 last Saturday has, I think, inspired me to get reading.

Christopher Isherwood
If you haven't seen it yet I strongly recommend you look it up on iPlayer. Based on the book of the same name, it's certainly the best TV drama I've seen in a while. The production values are high and the acting is top notch. I've never really been much of a fan of Doctor Who though Matt Smith has always struck me as being very personable and certainly gives an excellent performance as Isherwood. After 'Christopher and His Kind' I watched the 1969 Omnibus (also on iPlayer) with Isherwood and realised how perfectly Smith has managed to emulate his voice and mannerisms. I'm generally of the opinion that there's always room for improvement but here I struggle. Frankly the make-up job on the aged Klaus (played by Douglas Booth) was a bit laughable but, short of getting another actor, unavoidable I suppose.

W.H. Auden makes a few appearances as do the inspiration for Sally Bowles and Mr Norris. Mr Norris is a particular favourite of mine and I'm already looking for a copy of Mr Norris Changes Trains.

In short, a cracking view. People expecting a quaint literary biopic might be caught off guard by the fairly raunchy bedroom scenes but generally it will appeal to anyone with an interest in 20th Century, and particularly '30s, literature. 

No comments:

Post a Comment